Friday, December 19, 2008

New Milestones

Biting my cracker

Eating Mommy's grilled cheese sandwich

Yeah I did it!!

Chloe and Wyatt together

Princess Chloe! (Thanks Lily and Molly:))

On Thursday, we had a meeting with the Infants and Toddler's program to review Wyatt's speech report. Two weeks ago an assessment was done on Wyatt's expressive and receptive speech to get a ball park range of where is at developmentally. If you remember a few posts a while back, during our review meeting the speech and OT therapist both said Wyatt is on target for speech. Even though I should not compare Wyatt to Chloe, at 14 months, I know Wyatt is much more capable of saying what he is saying now. Basically, inconsistently he will say mama and a few sounds like ba, gub, and he will babble. I asked Dr. LG, a speech pathologist at Hopkins her opinion and she says Wyatt is not on target regarding speech. So the report from Infant and Toddlers came back saying not only is he solid to 14 months (which means he is on target) BUT he is scattered to 17 months (which means he does 17 month things). As much as I would love to believe that my little boy is ADVANCED in speech, the report is a total joke. Wyatt already gets two days a week therapy so I am happy with that. I know Wyatt will catch up speech-wise. The assessments with fancy names that the therapists did were basically questions that they asked me in which most of my answers were sometimes he does. So in the end, I firmly believe the mother knows best. I just had to vent a little:))

Great News! Wyatt is learning new things everyday. Today he learned to blow kisses. Our lovely nurse Susan taught him to blow kisses in one day. He is clapping all the time now, and BITING a cracker!! This is huge because a few months ago, he would bring a cracker to his mouth, then he began to lick it, and now he bites it and pretends to chew it eventhough most of it lands on his bib. I am so proud of him for trying so hard. Of course we make a huge deal and he does it over and over again because he is so proud of himself. We are really working hard with getting him to enjoy eating.

No comments: