Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Mix 106.5 Radiothon: Wyatt then and now

Tune into the Mix 106.5 Radiothon to help the Johns Hopkins Children's Center Wednesday, Feb. 23rd- Friday, Feb. 25th.  Wyatt will be one of the featured stories.

Wyatt has come a long way. Every time I look at him, I am in amazement of his success. With 50% survival chance, he kept me on my toes with many more gray hairs popping up. After every success, their seemed to always be a set back... I thought at his birth, he would be "too healthy" for ECMO, but he wasn't. I thought he would remain healthy on ECMO, but the machine that saved his life, gave him a brain bleed on the last day from the required Heparin. After he was extubated, I was so excited to hear his voice, but he was silent because of a paralyzed vocal cord. I thought we would dodge a feeding tube, but we didn't. I thought when we got home finally 5 months later, we were home for good, but realized after 3 reherniations and 10 surgeries we weren't. I followed many CDH kids and it seemed that they always got some kind of break, but we never did. But then I realized.... we did get a BIG BREAK... I have a handsome, alive, little boy!!! This experienced has showed me what life is all about... family, friends, and love. We treated Wyatt like a healthy newborn baby in the hospital. We read books to him, played music, brought in toys and pictures, and told him stories. You can only handle what God gives you and Wyatt is one tough little boy!

Today he is a robust, funny, caring, "older than his age", three year old who is thriving and loves life! Wyatt is catching up, people are amazed that he doesn't eat, walk, and still needs oxygen while sleeping. Well actually, he eats everything in sight, but doesn't swallow. At age 3, on Jan. 15th he stood up by himself for the very first time. He has been experimenting with taking steps since then and is now learning to walk. He knows everything a 3 year old knows... his ABC's, numbers, colors, talks in a billion word sentences. You can hold a great conversation with him all day long! I am amazed at him every day and so proud. Today, we have a new normal and life is a little different. I still follow stories of his CDH friends, take him to many therapy and doctor appointments a month, welcome a night nurse every night to make sure he does not aspirate. He is connected to a pulse ox, food pump, and oxygen all night long.... but I wouldn't trade it in for the world!

Thank you to the doctor's, nurses, and therapists at John's Hopkins and Mt. Washington Hospital for saving my child's life. Please check out the Radiothon this Wednesday Feb 23rd-Friday, Feb. 25th and donate! Wyatt will be featured on the Johns Hopkins website and Wyatt's story will be featured on the Radio- Mix 106.5.

Hopkins- http://www.hopkinschildrens.org/

Mix 106.5-  http://mix1065fm.radio.com/mix-106-5s-22nd-annual-radiothon/

Below are pictures of him when he was on ECMO, just a few days old

Holding him for the very first time at 5 weeks old...

A couple of months later...


Loving life at age 1 !


Wyatt today at age 3

Sharing friend at preschool with his teacher...



Standing up by himself for the first time...

Making his valentines for his friends

Playing in a band...

Hanging out with his preschool friends

No comments: