Saturday, March 28, 2009

Playing in the rain....


Abby says- Who says this would be fun??

I guess it's not that bad after all...

Hey! I want to splash!!!

Chloe splashing in the puddles....



What do you do on a Saturday when you are home by yourself with two kids... well the answer is obvious... go play in the rain!!! Kids need to play outside in all kids of weather. I am reading the book- Last Child in the Woods and I am planning on reading I Love Dirt! and Sharing Nature with Children. The book points out that direct exposure to nature is essential for a child's healthy physical and emotional development. The books says that a lack of nature in a child's life links to obesity, attention disorders, and depression. When I was little my fondest memories that I made with my neighborhood friends were playing outside in the woods... building forts, creating passwords, going for a hike to the stream, swinging on the tire swing, climbing trees, riding bikes, planting flowers, playing tag, waiting at the bus stop with my friends etc... I had an awesome childhood and everything I loved to do did not involve fancy toys or things. Because of that, I love to be outside in nature and I love watching the deer in my backyard:)) Having free play outside was the catalysist for my interest in science. Today, kids don't play freely outside as much. I see them ride motorized scooters and cars and being in the "woods" is dangerous. Also, it always amuses me to see a line of cars with the engines turned on waiting at the bus stop with their kids in the car because it's raining or it's too cold (I am going to eat my words, because I'll probably do this too:)) Kids need more free play! So today Chloe put on her rain boots for the first time (which she thought was super cool) and we splashed in puddles on our driveway. Don't worry, it was only drizzling, but I want my kids to have the mindset that rain isn't so bad and that it's fun to get wet and play outside!!! Tonight my parents are babysitting and Benji and I have our first date out since Wyatt was born. We are going to see the Air Force Jazz Band and have dinner at an Italian restaurant!!! Yipee!!! Our nurse called out last night and Benji stayed up with Wyatt and now he is out with his friends at a brewery so it may not be too late of a night:) We are still looking for a night nurse, so pass the word along if you live locally.

2 comments:

LORI said...

Chloe looks like a little Portlander in her rain gear!

Anonymous said...

Chloe is too cute! I bet she didn't last long... what did she say, "messy??"