Friday, May 1, 2009

Medical Updates

On Wednesday we had an appointment with the hematologist. Wyatt has always had a high white blood cell count from birth. Normal for him is around 19,000 and high is 35,000. High (I think) for a normal baby is around 10,000. The doctors always said it was stress. Well, to put my mind at ease we had a consultation with a hematologist at Hopkins... Dr. K. He was awesome!! He said it may be stress, but he would like to find out the reason. It may be steroids (he is on Flovent), or other conditions, but he is pretty sure the reason is NOT malignant. So he is going to draw blood when Wyatt is in the hospital for some tests and then we will take it from there.

We have had an adventure with the MRI people. Wyatt's last patch was attached by wire and Wyatt has a shunt. His MRI is scheduled for this Monday and the doctors would like him to stay overnight and have the upper GI series done the next day. When the lady called to tell me about the MRI, I asked if it was safe since Wyatt has wire in him. She said, "I didn't know???" and will get back to us. Well she did not get back to us, so I called every day this week with no one returning my calls. Finally, our super nurse Susan called and a nurse finally called her back saying it was ok. On top of that, Wyatt's surgeon, Dr. A called our house to say it was safe and left his cell phone number for me to call if I had any questions. How sweet was that??? We are so lucky to have good doctors!!!

We will be spending the night at Hopkins on Monday and hopefully we will be finding out answers about reherniation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gina, Did anyone ask Dr. Ben Carson if it was OK, since his shunt is controlled by a magnet?
M

Vicki Jensen said...

Gina,
Good luck tomorrow!! Give us a call if you guys need anything. Jack is with my parents this week so I can easily swing by if you need anything.

Vic